Book recommendations

Please write the name of the book and the author as well as a brief description about why you recommend it.

20 thoughts on “Book recommendations

1. 1. The Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo

I have recommended this particular series as I have already read them and know that they are extremely gripping and highly thrilling.

2. The Wonderling by Mira Bartók

I have recommended this book as I, when I read it, found packed full of adventure and, in my personal view, an enormously wonderful and interesting story.

3. The Ingo series by Helen Dunmore

I have recommended this story as, when I read it, thought it was an amazing book and found myself instantly adoring this wonderful story

2. The title of my first book is “It Cant Be True 2” by Margaret Parrish – The Reason I chose this book is because I really like all the cool facts and it has lots of great pictures. There are also lots of weird facts such as “How big can a Squid Grow “.

My next recommendation is “The Ballad of Bewilderwood” by Tom Blofeld. I bought this book after a day out at a park called Bewilderwood in Norfolk and I was very interested to read about where all the creatures of the woods lived. I really like the Bogles as they live down low in Marshes and they go on lots of adventures.

My third recommendation is “Alex Rider Storm breaker” by Anthony Horowitz. I chose this book because this is a really really cool action book. I really like it when Alex Rider battles with someone he always stands opposite his opponent and stares at them in there eyes. Alex Rider is recruited by a MI6 spy organisation and I really like doing research about different spy organisations such as the MI6.

3. I recommend the Adventures of Tintin volume 3. I think it’s good because it’s comical and adventurous.It has got good illustrations.
    I also recommend How Dinosaurs Really Work by Alan Snow because it basically teaches you things in a funny way so you learn things without knowing.
    My final recommendation is CAL and the Amazing Anti-Gravity Machine by Richard Hamilton. I would recommend it for people who like making things and technology and it is comical.

4. 1. I recommend ‘Phoenix’ by S.F.Said, because it is a make-bieleve story and I know that lots of Year 4’s like make-believe books.

2. I also recommend ‘Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods’ by Rick Riordan, because lots of people like ‘Percy Jackson’ and I think this book might be a new one for them

3. The last thing I want to recommend is ‘The Big, Fat, Totally Bonkers diary of Pig’ by Emer Stamp, because it is a comedy book which I know Oscar will like

5. I think the school should buy ‘Bad Dad’ because it is a funny book and it is very exciting.
    I also think ‘Wonder’ by R.J Palacio because I it is a very gripping and very interesting book and you can think about it from many different peoples views.
    I think the ‘Harry Potter’ series are excellent books because mainly book 2 and 4 have a problem at the start of the book and it does not quite make sense and as you get deeper into it there is a huge problem and then it ends and your thinking what just happened and then at the very end everything gradually starts to make sense.

6. The Famous Five – On a Treasure Island by Enid Blyton

I choose this book because it’s about four children and a dog who, live by the sea, and decide to on a great big adventure to a Treasure Island. They are heading for a ship wreck and solving clues to find treasure. The book is magical and mysterious and takes you to another world. I think the children will like this book a lot.

Tim Peak- Ask an Astronaut

This book is a winner because it is interesting and tells you lots of facts about Space and his time in space as well as the preparations he did to become and astronaut and go to Space.

Harry Potter & The Philosopher’s Stone by J K Rowling

I will choose this book because it is magical and exciting about a the mystical world of wizardry and witch craft. I love some of the characters that she has made up like Hagrid and Dobby.

7. Aircraft, Philip Whiteman, gives good facts about aircrafts and gives a accurate and detailed view on the history of planes. It also shows pictures of aircrafts themselves and provides over 800 of these.

The London Eye Mystery, Siobhan Dowd, gripping detective story, very exciting and you don’t want to put the book down. It also contains facts about London.

The Famous Five Five On A Treasure Island, The story tells about a adventures trip to a secret island which gets you scared and very excited to find out what’s going to happen

8. 1. My first book choice for the library is ‘Weird but True, 300 Outrageous Facts’ by The National Geographic.
    This is a really interesting fact book and I’ve read it many times! The facts really are outrageous and sometimes funny. I like reading this book on car journeys and I’ve learnt lots of strange facts. A few examples:
    – Slugs have 3,000 teeth and 4 noses
    – Palm trees grew at the North Pole about 55 million years ago
    – A battery can be made out of a potato

2. My second book is ‘The Parent Agency’ by David Baddiel
    I read this book recently, it’s about a boy named Barry who wished he had better parents. He was really fed up with his parents because they did not get him anything good for his birthday. Barry ends up in a place where he can choose his parents. The Parent Agency find him different parents to try out. They were all different but my favourites were called Elliott and Mama Cool. They let Barry do anything he wanted, they were fun parents but in the end they decided they did not want Barry as their son! At the end of the book you find out that Barry has been dreaming and The Parent Agency does not exist. After the long dream Barry is happy to be at home with his real parents.
    I recommend this book because it makes you laugh – Barry has some funny adventures with the different parents he meets.

3. My third book is called ‘Usborne Illustrated Stories from the Greek Myths’
    This is a really interesting book – it contains 6 myths from Ancient Greece. My favourite myth is The Minotaur which has the head of a bull and the body of a man. He lives at the centre of a labyrinth and eats people! The story is about a boy called Theseus and how he defeats the Minotaur.

9. I recommend The Wizard of Oz. I chose this book because it has very good descriptive writing in it. The characters are Dorothy, her dog, a scarecrow, a lion, a tin man , the Wicked Witch of the North, East, West and South. the author is very good at keeping your attention all the way through.
    The second one I recommend is the Famous Five series by Enid Blyton. It has 5 main characters which are Julian, Dick, Ann George and Timmy. You really can’t put the book down!
    The final one I recommend is The Big Bad Pig and the Three Little Wolves. It is a twist between the big bad wolf and the three little pigs. It is very funny how the pig tries to knock the houses down.

10. My first recommendation is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
    I like this one because it’s one of Harry’s most fearful missions and this book has loads of descriptive language in it.
    My second choice is The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.
    I chose this one because it is written in the same way as Coraline it is very scary all the way through ,it is a very good book and I’m sure everybody will like it.
    My third choice is Dary of a Wimpy Kid.
    I chose this one because I’ve read two of them and I think it would be really funny for 4M to read and it is planned like a rough print to a fairy tale.

11. The Circus of Adventure by Enid Blyton. It’s an amazing book and Enid Blyton is one of the best writers in the world. We are reading this book and its really really exciting. So its quite scary because there is a plot to kill the king and people get kidnapped and we read it every night.

Geography A Childrens’ Encyclopedia. This is a non fiction book but its a great book to learn about the world and nature’s catastrophic events and wonderful events. It also talks about space and how the force fields surround the front of the earth to protect it from the heat (page 22-23).

The Chronicles of Narnia – The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis. This is an exciting book with battles and monsters in it and kind of like a fairy tale. There are children, mythical creatures and plants and animals that talk. There are seven books in the series and they come in a pack. The other books are really good but this one is my favourite, its starts of slowly and gets better and better.

12. The books I think year 4 should have are…………

‘Bear Grylls Mission Survival Series’ – Tracks of the Tiger, Gold of the Gods, Way of the Wolf, Sands of the Scorpion, Claws of the Crocodile, Strike of the Shark, Rage of the Rhino and Lair of the Leopard.
    I chose these books because I like adventure books and these are all about adventure.

My next book is ‘ The Worlds Worst Children 1 and 2 by David Walliams . I like these books because I like David Walliams books as they are extremely funny.

My 3rd and final book is ‘ My First Question and Answer Book’ by Miles Kelly. I like this book because it covers 19 topics from Space, Planet Earth, Ancient Rome,Vikings, Dinosaurs to Pirates and lots more!

13. My first recommendation is Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney. This is a funny book and entertaining. It’s the diary of Greg Heffley and is about his first year in Middle School where he gets into tight situations and how he resolves them. It’s also about his family.Lots of surprises pop up throughout the book and it made me laugh.

My second recommendation is The Spooks Apprentice by Joseph Delaney which is one of three books and stories written about a boy named Tom who is an apprentice to the local spook. The spook deals with spirits and ghouls. I enjoyed the book because there are lots of characters who are all really different but get along well together and don’t behave as you would expect them to. It’s quite scary so not for the faint hearted.

My third suggestion is Usborne Illustrated Stories of Greek Myths. These legends are partly true but also have bits that are made up. There are five stories set in ancient Greece. It’s about Gods and adventures. Some of the people are really cheeky and mischievous. The stories don’t take too long to read and you can read one story per night.

14. My 3 favourite books are:

1. The series of Percy Jackson
    I really like this book as it teaches you about Greek mythology. It is a really exciting adventure book and quite a high reading level so challenges me. I also like the fact that it is a little scary.
    It is about a boy called Percy Jackson who is a demi-god. A demi-god is a person who has one parent who is a God or Goddess. Percy Jackson’s father is Poseidon. The book is about Percy Jackson and his friends trying to save the World from other Greek monsters. I loved reading this series.

2. The Changlings
    I got this book when I visited America. It is about people who have the power to change their forms into animals or mythical creatures, they are called Changlings. Some people who were born normal were switched with a magic person by the Pied Piper. This meant that a magical person existed in the normal world. These Changlings were being hunted and there were only 5 left. They had to fight a leader to stay alive. A twist to the story is that you just never know who is normal and who is a Changling. There is also another aspect to the story where a young girl is trying to find her sister. I highly recommend this book, it is not part of a series.

3. The Five Elements: Book 1 and 2
    This book is the scariest book I have read, but it is also very exciting. It is about five 13-year-old children allocating themselves to an element. These elements are fire, water, wind and earth. The fifth element in case you were wondering is magic. The book is about these five children trying to stop the cultists from mixing a twisting dimension called Arcadia into the normal world. Arcadia is made of pure magic and if this mix happened everyone in the real world would go mad or die. There is an emerald tablet, which does not cast a shadow and a mirror tablet that does. You can switch people from Arcadia to the normal world, but the 2 people have to have the same blood connection. This book is about the adventures of the 5 elementis (children) trying to save the normal world from being mixed with Arcadia a parallel world. It is a fantastic read, the third book comes out in April 2018

15. These are the books I personally recommend.
    No.1 Diary of A Wimpy Kid: I recommend this book because it is very funny for all ages and the pictures are hilarious.
    No.2 Guinness World Book of Records: I would recommend this book because it has lots of interesting, weird and funny facts and weird looking humans.
    No.3 365 Science Activities: I recommend this book because the activities are fun, enjoyable and exciting.

16. My 3 recommendations are:

1. Person controller-David Baddiel.
    I really enjoyed this book because it is very funny and has a good adventurous story line. It starts off with a brother and sister who get sent a computer games controller but with a difference! It has a wristband for one person to wear, while the other person operates the controller to control the person wearing the wristband. Then the book goes on to talk about the things they get up to and the special skills they have with the help of the controller.

2.Epic adventure – Tom Gates.
    This book follows one boy called Tom and his family as they go to Cramly Castle on an epic adventure, according to his Grandma, however Tom doesn’t think it is so epic. The book keeps your attention as it has lots of funny illustrations throughout. There are lots of books in this series and all great to read!

3. Skills in Brazil & Final Whistle, Jamie Johnson – Dan Freeman.
    Skills in Brazil – Is all about the world cup and the star player Jamie Johnson who is able to go to the world cup to play for Scotland. The story has lots of up and downs as Jamie faces his arch enemy in a football showdown. His enemy injures him and the story takes a dramatic turn as this could affect Jamie’s career forever.
    Final Whistle – This is the final story of the series. Where Jamie perseveres to recover from his awful injury and against all odds manages to play in the semi final of the champions league against Real Madrid…it is a tense ending!

17. The books which I would like to recommend are:

1. Goosebumps series – Horrorland by RL Stine
    Goosebumps is my favourite book at the moment, it is a horror book. The chapters are short which help to make it scary, every chapter leaves you on a cliff hanger and makes you gasp. Me and my mum sometimes get scared from the mystery. I really like the picture on the front cover, even though you can’t predict what’s going to happen.

2. Alexis Sanchez The Wonder Boy by Tom and Matt Oldfield
    I like this book because I love football, and learning how footballers became footballers.
    I liked learning about the first team Alexis played for before he made it as an Arsenal player,
    and if that team was good. There are a series of books about footballers and each book has a special name for the player.

3. Anansi and the Moss Covered Rock by Eric Kimmel
    This is a short story but it has been a favourite of mine for a long time. I like Anansi because he is sneaky, lazy and always up to mischief. In the story he fools people into his traps and then takes all their food. Anansi is a smart spider I like him because he’s from the Caribbean and my nanny used to read lots of Anansi stories to me when I was little. Anansi story’s always have a lesson for you to learn.

18. My first recommendation is “The World’s Worst Children” by David Walliams. This book is a collection of stories about most horrendous children who ever lived. I like this book very much because it is very funny and makes you laugh out loud! My most favourite character in this book is Nigel Nit- Boy who made one old lady faint.

My second recommendation is “Matilda” by Roald Dahl. The book is about a little girl called Matilda who was very very clever. She helps her favourite teacher Miss Honey getting her house back from her evil aunt Miss Trunchbull. I like this book very much because Matilda is very witty and outsmarts Miss Trunchbull. The book has a happy ending for Matilda as she stays to live with Miss Honey.

My third recommendation is ”Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ” by J.K. Rowling. The plot follows Harry’s second year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry hears strange whispers echo through the school corridors and the messages on the walls warn that ” Chamber of Secrets” has been opened. Students are found as though turned to stone. I like this book very much because Harry fights a big dragon that he is not allowed to look at. He wins but he is very badly injured and is going to die, but a griffin heals his injury and saves his life.

19. I have recommended two books by the same author as they are both my favourite.

The BFG by Roald Dahl
    This book is about a girl who meets a big friendly giant and together they enjoy adventures in each other’s different worlds.
    My favourite part is when the BFG goes into the girls room whilst she’s sleeping and watches her wake up. Her reaction is very funny.

I recommend this book because it teaches you that big, strong and scary looking people and also be very kind.

The Twits by Roald Dahl
    This book is about an husband and wife that are really mean to all including children and animals and try to think if lots of mean ways to get rid of them, but in the end the animals get there own back on the twits.
    My favourite part in the book is when the twits shrink into nothing because then they can’t be mean anymore to others.

I recommend this book because it’s saying to us not be mean to people and animals around us and be nice to all.

Gabriel